Some users of the Android app have reported not receiving any push notifications. This help article will help you troubleshoot the problem.
The most common cause of push notifications not being delivered are that the settings on your phone mean the app is not allowed to run in 'background' mode. The confusing thing is, apps like WhatsApp are given special privileges by Android, and so almost always work, giving the false impression that the GoDoChurch app is broken. We promise it is not. Here are the settings you need to change in order to get your messages:
Change your phone settings
1) Open Settings >> Apps >> GoDoChurch >> make sure ALL notifications are activated for the GoDoChurch app, including 'Banners'.
2) Next find the section that deals with permission for apps to run in the background. This has a different name depending on what Android phone you are using. Here are the most common names:
- app auto-start
- start-up manager
- auto-start manager
- app optimisation
- protected apps
- background app management.
Make sure the GoDoChurch app is given permission to run in the background and this should solve the problem.
Other less common problems
- Your church administrator may have a duplicate profile for you on the GoDoChurch admin system, and they may be sending push notifications to the wrong profile. Check with them to see if there are any duplicates.
- You are not in a Wifi zone, and have not activated mobile data usage for apps.
- You are in an office where the Wifi firewall is preventing you receiving push notifications. Connect to the internet in another location and see if that helps.
- You have 'Do-not-disturb' activated on your phone :)
GoDoChurch is moving over to a PWApp or a WebApp in Apple Terms. This is fast becoming the global standard for mobile app technology.
Apple introduced a long-overdue feature in 2023: Safari push notification support on newer versions of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16.
If you have a recent iPhone, such as the iPhone 14 Pro Max, or an iPad running version 16.4 or later, you can follow the steps in the link below to enable Safari push notifications for GoDoChurch. By doing so, you will receive alerts similar to those of native iOS apps.
How to enable Safari push notifications on iPhone or iPad. This is an external link. Instead of adding twitter in this way, you will be going to mobile.godochurch.com and following the steps to add GoDoChurch to your phone.