This tutorial will explain how to create and edit an event in GoDoChurch. If you have not yet read Introduction to Events we suggest you do so first as it lays some important foundations for understanding how the Events module works.
Creating an event in GoDoChurch has two steps:
- Use the Event Wizard to set up the event.
- Setup your registration types.
This help file looks at step 1. For more information about step 2 read Event registration types.
Creating an event
Open the events module from the main menu: Church Life >> Events.
Click New Event.
This will open up an event creation wizard.
The wizard has six pages, but only the first page is required info. So if you want to create a free event quickly you only need to fill in the info on this first screen.
Below is an explanation of every field in each of the six pages of the event creation wizard. Remember, only the first page contains required fields.
Page 1 (Basic and required info for your event)
- Event Name: the name of the event (e.g. Marriage Course).
- Venue Name: The venue where the event will be held.
- Events Status: Is Active checkbox: Unchecked this tick box if you wish to archive and event. Archived events will not be displayed on the mobile app.
- Start Date/End Date: the date the event will start and end.
- Start time/End time: the time the event will begin or end.
- Tag Line: a one-line description of the event.
- Description: a short description of the event.
- Geo Co-ordinates: clicking Edit will allow you to use Google Maps to select a specific address for the venue which registrants will be able to use to get directions to the event.
Page 2 (Invitation settings)
Page 2 of the event wizard allows you to restrict to whom an event is advertised. This is an advanced setting unpacked fully in the help file: Restricting event registration.
In most cases, your events will be open to anyone so you can simply ignore these settings and go on to page 3 of the wizard.
Page 3 (Online registration page setup)
Each event comes with its own online registration web page. Page 3 of the event wizard allows you to set up this online registration page.
- Registration opens/closes: the dates registration is to open and close. Users will not be able to register for the event outside of these dates.
- Contact person: the person registrants can contact for info about the event.
- Add new registrations to your database: If checked, people who are not in your database at the time of registration will be added to your database when they register. If un-ticked a person who registers will still be added to the event as a registrant; it just means they will not get their own profile in your database. If you are hosting a big event with lots of non-church members attending and you don't want to bloat your database with new people, then untick this box.
- Activate online registration page: If this is un-ticked it disables the event's online registration page.
Page 4: Add a link to an online form as part of registration.
If you need to capture extra information about someone (such as dietary needs) as part of the registration process, you can achieve this using the settings on this page of the event wizard.
For more information on adding an online form read this help file: Adding an online form to event registration.
- Include a link: If you want to include a link to a form, tick this box.
- Link/form URL: Paste the link to the form in this text box
- Link form instructions: Add instructions re. the link in this text box.
Page 5 (Add custom branding to the registration page and mobile app)
- Image: you have to ability to customise your registration web page with an image. To use this feature you need to either import an image (recommended) by clicking 'Import an image', or host the image online and copy the URL of the image and paste it into the URL field. Note: a custom image is not compulsory. If you chose not to use this feature we simply remove the image placeholder on your online registration page.
- Icon: events you load into GoDoChurch are made available on the mobile app. You can upload an icon for this event if you so choose. To use this feature you need to either import an icon (recommended) by clicking 'Import an icon', or host the image online and copy the URL of the image and paste it into the URL field. Note: a custom icon is not compulsory, but it does make the event look better on the mobile app.
Page 6 (Advanced options)
- Require an administrator to check a person in if they have not paid: if ticked only administrators will be able to sign a person into an event if they have not paid.
- Admin override code: the code an administrator needs to enter when signing someone into an event who has not paid.
- URL for events own webpage: not to be confused with your custom event registration web page. Use this field if your event has its own website that you would like to point registrants to. If you add a link here it will be included on the first page of your online registration page.
- Bank account for payouts: the bank account into which GoDoChurch will deposit payouts for the sale of online tickets. For more information on how to add bank accounts to GoDoChurch read: Adding bank accounts. For more information on event payouts, read Event payouts FAQ.
Setting up registration types
To complete setting up your event you need to set up the registration/ticket types for the event. For more information on how to set up registration types, read: Event registration types.
Sending an invite
Once your event is created you will want to send an invite.
Here is an article that explains how to do this: Send an invite to your event.